Unknown Thursday, July 19, 2012

So I've had to rearrange my sewing space a few times since we moved. I've just got so much stuff! But in the rearranging, I've found all sorts of treasures.

And one whopping fat spider that freaked me right out by hiding in the safety pins and being invisible. Talk about screaming like a little girl! But the spider died* so everything is okay now.

Oh God, it was RIGHT THERE.

But, there are these THINGS. These things that I have no idea what they are or where they came from or what they do! Well, I do know where most of them came from, but the doing-with is lost on me.

As I've mentioned, my uncle has been so wonderful in letting me raid my grandmother's sewing room. Every time I've been tho, I have been a bit pressed for time and I've ended up with some oddball stuff that I really like, but i don't have a clue what to do with it.

Mimi used to make Majorette uniforms.

Like the little gem above. It was in with buckles and clasps. I really love the look of it and I'd love to use it on something for Elizabeth. But how do I use it? Attach it? What on earth IS it?

Eenie, meenie, miney, moe. What to do with feet without toes?

And then there's all these feet. I needed a zipper foot about 3 months ago having believed that I'd lost mine forever (it was in my sewing basket that landed in storage, of course.) But I could not find just a zipper foot for less than $20 and this collection of all these feet was $12 on Amazon. But, what ARE they? And what devilment can I get up to with them?

If anyone knows what these things are, I'd LOVE to know. And how to use them would be awesome too. 

*House Rule #2 - Spiders may reside all over the place outside the dwelling (and hence eat like kings/queens) but the minute they put one crawly foot inside, it is squish city.

3 comments:

  1. I recommend looking up singer manuals. They often have foot drawings in the front, and instructions on how to use them in the back of the manual. At least, mine does! Finding a free pdf of Singer manuals online is a bit tricky, though.

    Here's a list of presser feet for my machine. Maybe that will help you figure out what they are? http://www.singerco.com/products/1496/7463-confidence/presser-feet

    ReplyDelete
  2. (although the first foot is the blind hem foot, which I love, because I am so short that I must always hem up my pants!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @naiadkitty

    seriously. there's a foot *just* for a blind hem? *DIES*

    but that's a good idea about looking it up in the manual. i've got a couple that overlap the two (threeish) sets I have. but some are a complete mystery!

    ReplyDelete